4.13.2010

hardly seems possible

Hello there, dear readers. It feels like it's been a while. It's only been a week since I really wrote here last, and two since I shared a recipe, but it feels longer. Time! It is a pretty crazy thing!

Time has sort of been wigging me out lately. April has never been a good month for me, and this year April is the month before two years since I graduated from college. It hardly seems possible. I am still in an office job (albeit a better office job than I had before), still living a life against which I had railed so hard. I have unwittingly become a part of those mass of men that Thoreau talked about.


Baking helps. Watching ingredients react with each other, slowly become dough, is a kind of magic. A very domestic magic, but still. Over the past year I have only gotten better at it. I only mean to toot my own horn a little, and let me tell you, it's better than the alternative, which is me moping.

It's easy to mope. This is not how I saw my life, ever. Two years out of college, and in an office, not back in school, not doing something related to my majors. It is harder to be grateful. The rejection letters from grad school propelled me to DC, where I may not have found the ideal job but I did find amazing people. I found within myself a love for baking.


It is harder to be grateful, but better. I am trying to keep this in mind, especially during this time when everything is changing.

And besides, if I hadn't come to DC, I might never have made these biscuits.



Biscuits
adapted from Smitten Kitchen

2 c. all-purpose flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp sugar
1 1/2 c. heavy cream
3 tbsp melted butter

Preheat oven to 425F.

Whisk dry ingredients together in a large bowl. Melt butter and set aside. (I just put the butter in a small oven-safe dish and popped it in the oven for a couple minutes. Easy!)

Fold the cream into the dry ingredients. The dough may be a little crumbly, and that's okay. Because next you're going to turn it onto a floured surface and mold it into a round, flattening it to about 3/4 inch. Cut into rounds, about 2 inches in diameter. (I don't have a biscuit cutter or anything, so I just used a whiskey glass. See picture above.)

Place the cut-outs on a lined baking sheet (with parchment paper or a Silpat). Brush the melted butter on the tops of the biscuits-to-be.

Bake for 15 minutes, until golden.

Note: These are best served hot, but they also make for a delightful little breakfast the next morning. I like to make a sanwich out of them. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment